Thursday, July 8, 2010

Run, Run, Run!

Well it's been so incredibly hot, but the training must continue. We, the running group and I, went out for our Tuesday night run. Some may not realize that the temperature doesn't exactly vary from morning to night (and all the points in between) so my plan to get up early on days such as this to run while it's cool, I've learned, doesn't really make a tremendous impact on my overall body temperature, so the evening running with the group, while unbelievably hot, beats running alone on am almost equally hot morning. (Hidden message...I miss the Phat Girls) Anyway, we took an alternate route on Tuesday, to try and shelter ourselves from the heat and sun. We ran off the usual lakeside paths and on some trails that wound through the wooded areas around the city. It was quite beautiful and I can't tell you how relieved I was that the majority of these trails were completely shaded, regardless of how many trees and bushes that skimmed my body, head to toe. I stupidly decided against running with my new bff, my water bottle, because, well, I really hate carrying it while I run. (Baby!) Wouldn't you know that the first water fountain was broken? Just my luck. By the time we made it to the next one I was feeling a little light headed, my muscles were cramping up and what appeared to be a bit of a rash was starting around my ankles. Fortunately this was the turn around point. I was glad to be turning around and heading back. It was then that I noticed the mosquitoes that had decided to come along with me for this journey. Three of them on my legs. Gross! When I got home Nick, as he usually does whenever I leave the house, hoping that I had the greatest time ever so I won't entertain thoughts of moving back home, said "Did you have fun?" To which I replied. "It was awesome! I got dehydrated, some heat cramps touch of heat exhaustion and the run through the woods produced multiple mosquito bites that I am hoping don't turn into West Nile (do people get that here or are they immune because of the vast amounts of mosquito activity present), possible poison oak or ivy (I'm not sure which resides here) and maybe some lyme disease. Again, awesome!" Fortunately, all that has lingered are the 13 mosquito bites and the realization that I should NEVER register for anything that requires intense training during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment